Saturday, June 8, 2013

Chilanga and Tuta Villages


We have had a really great week of serving and resting.  As you read everyone’s accounts of the week you will hear that Tim and Jenna were both sick.  They are now doing great and back to their old selves.  We hope you enjoy our update.  We are headed back to Chilanga village tomorrow to join in the local fellowship.  We will post more soon!

Children walking to school in Chilanga
Jenna - Words cannot begin to describe the experiences we have had since we last updated the blog. We went to the Chilanga village and were given the most incredible greeting by all of the people. It is amazing how the people just simply enjoy being in our presence even if they can’t communicate with us. The chief of the village was so kind and loving toward all of us, and his wife actually prepared all of our breakfast and lunch meals throughout the week while we were camping. We had wonderful fellowship each night with all of the believers from Chilanga, and we got to hear their beautiful singing voices every day.Toward the end of the week, we were able to go into the village of Tuta and begin building relationships with them as well. This weekend we are resting and will be able to go to a waterfall in the area.  I am so excited for that! Next week, we are going to two new villages, and I am looking forward to building new relationships and fellowshipping with more nationals.

Walking to Tuta Village
Dayla - "Have you ever heard of this man?" as these words were being translated, I waited patiently for an answer.  The answer was one simple word, a word that is not often heard when asked if someone has ever heard of JC, but still the answer came in the form of one simple, hopeless word--"no."  If only you could imagine sharing the Good News with one who has never heard.  I began sharing about the Father's love for the world, the separation of man, the gift of relationship with Him and then, after a time, I encouraged some of the local believers to share their stories with this man.  This is the ends of the earth.  I literally sat down with a man who had NEVER heard the GOOD NEWS and who had NEVER heard of JC.  Please ask the Father to open this man’s eyes to the Truth.  The darkness that is in this man’s life runs rampant in the hearts of most people in Tuta village.  The next day Tim, Bethany, Jenna and I shared with a man who attends another fellowship of false teaching.  After several minutes of sharing the Good News I began to realize that he did not think the words we were sharing applied to him.  Finally, I had our translator ask him if he had ever disobeyed the Father.  He responded, “No” that he was a perfect man.  I was then able to go through the Book and show him passage after passage of Truth.  His entire demeanor changed as his eyes were opened to his disobedience.  Please lift up this man.
BanaTupa
I am so thankful to be here and am being reminded of many truths.  The night sky is breathtaking.  My spirit feels so calm in the midst of the Father’s creation.  It has been so good to see friends that I met on last year’s trip and to make many new friends like  BanaTupa (Mother of Tupa) and Miriam (the Chief’s wife).  BanaTupa cracks me up in her desire to be in the middle of everything.  She is a sweet, outgoing lady who loves to laugh.  We have no idea what the other one is saying but I can tell that she really enjoys life.  On Wednesday we were trying to show the JC Film in Bemba to the Chilanga village.  Unfortunately we were never able to get the generator to work but while some of the guys were working on it, all the girls on our team and Kyle sang every worship song we could think of.  As we began singing I could hear Miriam right beside me, trying to sing along to the hymns she knew in Bemba.  What a cool things to praise the same Father under the incredible night sky as I stared up at the southern cross looking down on us.  This is truly a wonderful memory I hope to never forget. 


Kyle - Well...this week has been interesting! The program didn’t go quite as planned, and we have been dropping like flies because of this and that. I found out that guavas are high in fiber, if you know what I mean, Tim...well...yeah...we bonded, Jenna gave us a glimpse of the walking dead! But anyways, the chief’s wife taught me my new favorite song which is in ChiNamwanga. It goes like this “Bayawe Nimwe nkwela yandi” it looks like gibberish, but its awesome. The Zambians also have a tendancy to sing before they pray, and it is a really powerful thing. After seeing them do this for a few days i decided to sing set of fire before I spoke to the father after Book study one morning and barely made it through the four line song without bawling. Singing before speaking to the Father is a powerful thing and truly draws you toward Him. 

Camping in Chilanga
Kane - This week has been very eventful to say the least. First two of our teammates went down in the field of battle. First Jenna gave us her best interpretation of what happens when someone gets shot with a tranquilizer gun. Next Tim broke out in a furious sweat which sure left a mark on Me, Kyle, and Blake. All he could say afterwords was when your vision is no more and your body hits the floor...
We got to go on our first sharing experience in Africa we went to the village of Tuta. It was amazing to see the father work through Blake. The last two days we have been recuperating and tomorrow we are going to some natural falls that Blake found. We have one more week of sharing to do so wish us luck!! 

Bethany - The dust kicked up as we turned into the entrance of the village where we would spend the first few nights of camping.  Immediately, we were greeted with singing and dancing of the people who lived in the village.  Their voices harmonized to make beautiful music, and their movements communicated an excitement at our arrival.  Blown away, I hopped out of the car to meet them. Handshakes and hugs followed as if we had been friends for years.  Later that night, we worshiped together around the warm campfire below the beautiful night sky.  As I gazed upward, I found the Southern Cross shining high in the sky, and I felt an overwhelming sense of joy and peace.  This community who had only met us a few hours before had welcomed us with open arms and invited us to worship the Father together.  Though we could not speak the same language, we shared the same love for the Father and the same gratitude for how he transformed our lives.  
The next two days, we traveled to Tuta to share the Good News of the Father with the people living there.  Divided into groups, we walked house to house, meeting men and women who had never heard the Good News before.  Working with translators, we sat and talked with those who would listen and shared what we could.  As we walked along the road back, returning to our campsite on the second day, I was struck with the realization that so many people have lived their entire life without hearing the Good News, and my heart broke for them.  I feel so privileged that I can be here and share with these people; however, I wish I could stay longer.  I wish I could stay and develop relationships with those we meet.  However, I know that I have only been allotted a short amount of time here, and I trust that the Father will use this group to accomplish that which he wishes.  

Lori and her goat.
Lori- This trip has genuinely been the experience of a life time! After spending the first few days with Blake, Dawnya, and the kids went embarked on our camping adventure. We stayed in the village of Chilanga and were greeted with the warmest of welcomes! The chief and the villagers welcomed our group with singing and celebration. All of the villagers tried to make our stay warm and inviting! The chief’s wife, Mariam made breakfast and lunch for us the two days that we were there. Our real work was in the village of Tuta however. We met and spoke with several people but there were many more that were fearing. We could only stay in the village of Chilanga a couple of nights and so we packed up and headed back to Blake’s. It was a good thing that we did because a few of our team members got sick. They are now feeling better though and today we were able to go to a waterfall and explore the natural beauty around us! It has been an amazing learning experience and I am very thankful to be learning so much from everyone around me. The Father has also been an acting in so many ways and it is amazing to see him provide and teach our team. Also, I have now caught 10 chickens and held a baby goat.

Camping in Chilanga







Molly - This past week has been so eventful! On Monday, we went to the village of Chilanga where we were greeted with singing. It was so neat. We met the Chief, his wife, and many of the villagers. They were all so kind and hospitable. The Chief even offered to let us stay in his house rather than camp outside. All of these things were very cool, but my favorite part of the day was when one of the women had me get up to dance with them as they sang their worship songs. It was so fun, and I couldn’t stop smiling. Each night was spent around the campfire with our team and with the nationals. The people are all so joyful that it is quite infectious. The later days of the week were spent going out to other villages close by to share our stories. I was so nervous at first, but once we got out there it all fell in to place and it was really neat to see how we were all able to help each other out when in need. We ended up not staying the whole time to camp, and that ended up being a very good thing because a few of our members became sick. Although I feel bad that they got sick, this was somewhat of a cool experience for me because Blake helped walk me through a lot of medical assessment. I was also able to aid in the care of my teammates when it was needed, so I was very thankful that I could be of assistance. As much as I loved going out to the villages, I also had a really great time staying at the house and playing with the kids. They are so all so precious and it is so much fun to spend time with them. Since everybody was feeling better today, we went to the waterfall. It was so beautiful! I decided to climb up to the top because I thought it would be a really cool experience, but I slipped on a few rocks and I fell into the water. It was fine; I just got a little bit wet. I feel like I’m learning so much each day and it has all been so much fun!

The Chief's son


















Tim - Into the bush... As everyone else has already described the events of the week, I hope through the good and the bad the glory of the Father resounds.  Yes, sickness took myself and Jenna out for a day to a day and a half, but everything works for a purpose and the healing came at the right time according to that purpose- we are both 100% better.  In Chilanga, we were welcomed with open arms. It is amazing how they understand the Body is united even with an ocean separating the continents.  Kyle and Kane were able to share their Stories with what is likely a couple hundred people. It was difficult to take a count seeing as it was dark and our light source was a fire. They both did a wonderful job of not only describing their Stories but working with the translator!  The next night we were able to sit through the Book Study and see false teachers try to argue their case. Ultimately, the final response was that the Book was necessary in order to be a real teacher.  Following that, I was given the opportunity to teach the calming of the storm.  The people chattered for the first few minutes until we got to the heart of the matter.  When storms arise, we become fearful.  They are a fearing culture, and were able to hear the Truth that we do not have to fear when we know the One who has the power to control storms- physical, relational, and especially spiritual.  The Father is working through the people and they are desiring to show love to their friends, family, and even neighboring villages.  Everything is working according to the Father's plan, and I am so excited to see how He will continue to work through so many people.  


Waiting for lunch


A typical house in Tuta Village


No comments:

Post a Comment